Skip to main content
Helping communities discover and develop the economic power of America's train stations.Start Your Station Project

Ground Broken for Modern Newport News Transportation Center

By August 6, 2020 No Comments
Building against a blue sky with a garden in front.
The future Newport News Transportation Center will provide a central location for Amtrak, local buses, taxis and airport shuttles. Rendering courtesy of the City of Newport News.

NEWPORT NEWS, VA – On July 21, 2020, officials representing Amtrak, the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT), the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and the City of Newport News broke ground on a new intermodal transportation center that will accommodate Amtrak Northeast Regional trains, Hampton Roads Transit buses, taxis and airport shuttles.

The facility, designed to handle growing ridership and future increased train service, will be located at a new, centralized location on Bland Blvd. between Warwick Blvd. and Interstate 64, about eight miles northwest of the current Warwick Blvd. station and just west of Newport News / Williamsburg International Airport.

Estimated to cost approximately $47 million, the transportation center – scheduled for completion in summer 2022 – will feature a passenger depot with an angled, cantilevered roof and walls incorporating large expanses of glass, and will offer benefits including ADA compliance, modern amenities and increased parking. According to a city news release, the Commonwealth of Virginia is funding 44 percent of the project through dedicated passenger rail funding which will cover an Amtrak service facility, while the remaining 56 percent, made available through local and regional resources, will pay for the station building, parking and utility work.

In 2019, nearly 100,000 individuals used the Newport News station, making it the busiest station in the Commonwealth served only by State Supported trains. Northeast Regional service within Virginia is funded in part through grants made available by the Commonwealth. By 2026, under the Transforming Rail in Virginia initiative, Newport News will have three roundtrip trains coming in and out of this new station daily.

Posted August 6, 2020.