Quantico, VA (QAN)
This town along the Potomac River is entirely surrounded by the Quantico Marine Corps Base. Amtrak and VRE commuters use platforms adjacent to the 1950s mid-century modern depot.
550 Railroad Avenue at Potomac Avenue
Inside Marine Corps base
Quantico, VA 22134
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2017): 24,036
- Facility Ownership: Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad
- Parking Lot Ownership: Virginia Railway Express (VRE)
- Platform Ownership: CSXT
- Track Ownership: CSXT
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
The Amtrak stop in Quantico consists of platforms with a shelter, but Amtrak passengers also have use of the 1950s-era brick rail depot used primarily by Virginia Rail Express (VRE), a commuter railroad.
The building was remodeled and re-opened by VRE in April of 2005, and was celebrated locally. The renovation first required a hazardous materials remediation in 2003 and then virtually all of the building was repaired or replaced. The roof was replaced and the exterior brick façade repaired. New plumbing and electrical systems were installed as well.
The south room of the depot, a former Railway Express baggage room, is now occupied by the Prince William County Model Railroad Club’s elaborate layout, which is viewable during their monthly open houses.
The town of Quantico, along the Potomac River, is entirely surrounded by the Quantico Marine Corps Base. The area has been inhabited since the Algonquins lived there in the 16th century. In 1608, European settlers came, using the river as a travel route in preference to the poor and muddy roads. Prince William County was organized in 1731, when the Quantico Road opened, giving access west. By 1759, the road stretched across the Blue Ridge Mountains into the Shenandoah Valley.
The gun positions around Quantico were used throughout the entire American Civil War. After a 12-day battle at Spotsylvania Courthouse, where the Union lost 25,000 soldiers, the battles moved away from this area.
In 1872, an all-rail route was formed from Richmond to Washington with the connection of the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac (RF&P) and Pennsylvania Railroads at Quantico. The Pennsylvania Railroad and several others joined up for the leg between Quantico and Washington. Before the Civil War, the RF&P had terminated at a steamboat landing at Aquia; post-war, the desire for more efficient and faster travel by rail led to the all-rail route. The rail connection improved transportation immensely in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and this still remains a very busy passenger and freight rail corridor owned by CSX, the successor to RF&P.
At the turn of the 20th century, the Quantico Company was formed on Quantico Creek to promote the town as a tourist and excursion center. In 1917, Marine Barracks Quantico was established on land now occupied by the Base. Originally, the Marine Barracks personnel consisted of 91 enlisted men and four officers; since that day, hundreds of thousands of Marines have trained there. The Marine Corps Schools were in 1920, eventually developed into the Marine Corps University. Today, more than a dozen different units and commands, including schools and war fighting laboratories, call the base home. Other major training and research institutions there include the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) training academy, the FBI Academy and Laboratory, and the FBI Hostage Rescue Team.
Amtrak does not provide ticketing or baggage services at Quantico, which is served by six daily Amtrak trains.
Northeast Regional service within Virginia is funded in part through grants made available by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Platform with Shelter
- Quik-Trak kiosks not available
- No ticket sales office
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- No baggage carts
- Ski bags not available
- Bag storage not available
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- Parking available
- 210 short-term parking spaces
- 60 long-term parking spaces