Located a few blocks west of the Virginia State University campus, the station is a good example of Mid-Century Modern architecture.
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2023): 46274
- Facility Ownership: Virginia Passenger Rail Authority
- Parking Lot Ownership: Virginia Passenger Rail Authority
- Platform Ownership: Virginia Passenger Rail Authority
- Track Ownership: CSX Transportation
The Petersburg rail station, a one-story brick building, was constructed in 1955 by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad and is located near the Appomattox River. CSX leases the southern portion of the station to Amtrak and the northern area is unoccupied. In the late 1980s, the depot saw a few minor renovations, including an expanded waiting room, new floors and furniture and the removal of an interior wall.
The city of Petersburg’s roots are embedded in its routes. Originally a Powhattan settlement, people came over from England and settled at Fort Henry. Petersburg grew out of the expansion of Fort Henry. The Port of Petersburg drew many merchants, as it was a major hub for commercial transportation and processing of goods.
As travel technology developed, Petersburg grew as a railroad crossroads, with lines linking the city to all four compass directions. The South Side Railroad to the west was an important Confederate resource, used as a supply line during the Civil War.
Fort Lee and the Pamplin Historical Park are both about eight miles from the station.
Northeast Regional service within Virginia is funded in part through grants made available by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- ATM not available
- No elevator
- No payphones
- No Quik-Trak kiosks
- No Restrooms
- Unaccompanied child travel not allowed
- No vending machines
- No WiFi
- Arrive at least minutes prior to departure
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- No baggage carts
- Ski bags not available
- No bag storage
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- No payphones
- No accessible restrooms
- No accessible ticket office
- No accessible waiting room
- No accessible water fountain
- No high platform
- No wheelchair
- No wheelchair lift