Middletown, PA (MID)
In 1755, settler John Fisher acquired the acreage on which the town was laid out. Rapid growth followed, and during the Revolutionary War, Middletown was a noted supply depot.
Union Street and Mill Street
Middletown, PA 17057
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2019): 67,722
- Facility Ownership: Amtrak
- Parking Lot Ownership: Amtrak
- Platform Ownership: Amtrak
- Track Ownership: Amtrak
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
The Middletown station was constructed in 1990 and consists of a shelter and concrete platforms. Harrisburg-based Capital Area Transit (CAT) buses stop less than one block from this location and provide easy connections to regional destinations.
In fall 2013, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced a plan to construct a new station about nine blocks west at Ann St. and West Main St., adjacent to Harrisburg International Airport and the campus of Penn State Harrisburg. The intermodal center will connect air, rail and local bus services at one convenient location while also creating an anchor for potential development.
Estimated to cost $24.4 million, the accessible station will feature a center high-level platform that is level with the threshold of the train car doors, making it easier for passengers to board and detrain; a pedestrian overpass; elevator and stair towers; parking; and bus loading zones.
Before construction of the passenger facility could begin, work was undertaken by Norfolk Southern and Amtrak to shift the existing tracks in the area to make space for the new platform.
Middletown was originally occupied by the Conoy or Gawanese American Indians, members of the Susquehanna Indian nation. In the late 1770s, Scotch-Irish settlers came to the area. In 1755, John Fisher acquired 691 acres of land on which the town was laid out. It experienced rapid growth due to its beneficial location for trade. During the Revolutionary War, Middletown was a noted supply depot. Following the end of the conflict, commerce continued and the area became an important trading center for lumber, produce, grain and steel.
George Fisher, John Fisher’s son, founded Harborton in 1809 (later known as Portsmouth). In 1857, Portsmouth, Middletown and the land in between were incorporated into a larger city known as Middletown.
Platform with Shelter
- Quik-Trak kiosks not available
- No ticket sales office
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- No baggage carts
- Ski bags not available
- Bag storage not available
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- Same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- Accessible platform
- No restrooms
- No accessible ticket office
- No accessible waiting room
- No accessible water fountain
- Accessible same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Accessible overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- No high platform
- No wheelchair
- Wheelchair lift available