Hastings, NE (HAS)
The city was founded in 1872 at the junction of two rail lines and was named for Colonel D. T. Hastings of the St. Joseph and Grand Island Railroad.
501 West First Street
Hastings, NE 68901
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2020): 2,967
- Facility Ownership: Midland LLC
- Parking Lot Ownership: Midland LLC
- Platform Ownership: BNSF Railway
- Track Ownership: BNSF Railway
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
This depot, designed by Omaha-based architect Thomas Rogers Kimball in the Spanish Colonial Revival style, was built in 1902 by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad – more commonly known as the “Burlington.” It is constructed of tan brick with stone trim and has a center pavilion flanked by two-story wings that eventually step down to one story. A colonnade wraps around the building to protect passengers from inclement weather.
In keeping with Kimball’s selected design motif, the roofs are laid in red Spanish tile with exposed rafter tails, and the slender columns of the colonnade feature Santa Fe style capitals. On the streetside facade facing downtown to the north, the center pavilion is braced by full height pilasters whose capitals are decorated with cartouches incised with “B” to represent the Burlington Railroad. The gabled facade is crowned by a clock set within elaborate Churrigueresque decoration that frames a center window and includes pilasters, scrollwork and finials. Trackside, the projecting three-sided pavilion allowed the station master unobstructed views of the railroad to monitor activity up and down the line.
The depot was renovated in 1966, and the exterior and interior were again refurbished in 2000. In recognition of its historic significance to the community, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Over the years, it was visited by Presidents Taft, Truman and Eisenhower. Amtrak occupies part of the space and commercial tenants lease the remainder.
Hastings was founded in 1872 at the junction of the Burlington and Missouri River and the St. Joseph and Denver City railways. The city was named for Colonel D. T. Hastings of the St. Joseph and Grand Island Railroad. The Central Hastings Historic District is comprised of 30 city blocks and contains over 300 buildings and the Alexander Park.
Hastings has the distinction of being the birthplace of Kool-Aid. Visitors can learn more about the famous beverage, and the greater community and region at the Hastings Museum, which includes exhibits on prehistoric Nebraska, birds and wildlife, minerals and transportation vehicles from horse-drawn buggies to antique cars to a homemade wooden bicycle. The museum also has a popular theater and planetarium.
Station Building (with waiting room)
- Quik-Trak kiosks not available
- No ticket sales office
- Accessible Restrooms
- Vending Machines
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- Baggage carts available
- Ski bags not available
- Bag storage not available
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- Same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- Accessible platform
- Accessible Restrooms
- No accessible ticket office
- Accessible waiting room
- Accessible water fountain
- Accessible same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Accessible overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- No high platform
- No wheelchair
- No wheelchair lift
|Mon||01:15 am - 03:30 am|
|Tue||01:15 am - 03:30 am|
|Wed||01:15 am - 03:30 am|
|Thu||01:15 am - 03:30 am|
|Fri||01:15 am - 03:30 am|
|Sat||01:15 am - 03:30 am|
|Sun||01:15 am - 03:30 am|