Essex, MT (ESM)
Essex is home to the historic Izaak Walton Inn, originally built in 1939 to house railroad personnel.
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2019): 3,408
- Facility Ownership: N/A
- Parking Lot Ownership: N/A
- Platform Ownership: BNSF Railway
- Track Ownership: BNSF Railway
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
Essex was originally home to a rail yard for the Great Northern Railway. The historic Izaak Walton Inn was built next to this yard in 1939 to house railroad personnel and snow removal crews. Despite a campaign for the inn to serve as an entrance to Glacier Park between East and West Glacier, the plan was not adopted.
As a result, the inn appears to be a huge structure in the middle of the wilderness. Today, it is a popular year-round stop for visitors, especially railroad buffs and cross country skiers.
Amtrak installed a 190 foot long concrete platform with tactile edging at Essex in late 2010. The approximately $416,000 project included the platform, railing, passenger/vehicle loading ramp, lighting, signage and a hydronic snow melting system.
Platform only (no shelter)
- ATM available
- Quik-Trak kiosks not available
- No ticket sales office
- Vending Machines
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- No baggage carts
- Ski bags not available
- Bag storage not available
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- Same-day parking is not available
- Overnight parking is not available
- Accessible platform
- No restrooms
- No accessible ticket office
- No accessible waiting room
- No accessible water fountain
- Accessible same-day parking is not available
- Accessible overnight parking is not available
- No high platform
- No wheelchair
- No wheelchair lift