Downingtown, PA (DOW)
Located between Philadelphia and Lancaster, the village became known in the 18th century for its many mills; prosperity continued in the next century with the arrival of the railroads.
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2021): 16,719
- Facility Ownership: Amtrak
- Parking Lot Ownership: Amtrak
- Platform Ownership: Amtrak
- Track Ownership: Amtrak
The stop in Downingtown consists of an enclosed shelter on a platform. This station serves Amtrak, SEPTA commuter rail and a local transit bus company.
Downingtown, “A Main Street Community,” is located in the Brandywine Valley. Thomas Moore erected a water corn mill in 1716, the first mill in the town and the founding of Downingtown dates from that time. The village was originally known as Milltown for its many mills. The name was later changed to Downing’s Town in honor of Thomas Downing who constructed and operated several mills during the time of the American Revolution. After the War of 1812, the town was officially named Downingtown.
The town began to prosper after the railroads were constructed in the 1800s. The Borough of Downingtown was incorporated on May 12, 1859. English Quakers, the original settlers, were soon joined by people of many other cultures who worked on the railroads and in the mills and building flourished. Manufacturing facilities and industry moved to Downingtown because of its accessibility to railroads and central location between Philadelphia and Lancaster. Fortunately, much of the Downingtown’s rich history is still very much in evidence.
Amtrak’s Keystone Service is financed in part through funds made available by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
Platform with Shelter
- Quik-Trak kiosks not available
- No ticket sales office
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- No baggage carts
- Ski bags not available
- Bag storage not available
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- Same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- No restrooms
- No accessible ticket office
- No accessible waiting room
- No accessible water fountain
- Accessible same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Accessible overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- No high platform
- No wheelchair
- No wheelchair lift