Denmark, SC (DNK)
Recent landscaping and renovation of the depot began as part of the South Carolina Heritage Corridor project, with support from the Denmark Depot Restoration Society and the city.
200 West Baruch Street
Denmark, SC 29042
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2021): 1,702
- Facility Ownership: City of Denmark
- Parking Lot Ownership: City of Denmark
- Platform Ownership: CSX Transportation
- Track Ownership: CSX Transportation
This 1920s red brick passenger station formerly served the Atlantic Coast Line, Seaboard Air Line and Southern railways. Amtrak initiated service to the community on October 29, 1978, via the Champion (New York-St. Petersburg). According to Amtrak NEWS, the company’s employee newsletter, Denmark was added to the schedule because there was no stop between Columbia and Savannah, although Denmark and the surrounding area had a sizable population.
The station’s recent renovation began as part of the South Carolina Heritage Corridor project, and has continued with landscaping and reconstruction supported by the Denmark Depot Restoration Society and the city. In 2004, Denmark received a $200,000 federal transportation enhancement grant through the South Carolina Department of Transportation to restore the depot. The Denmark Depot Restoration Society also launched a fund-raising campaign for the project. Along with landscaping, work began in 2008 on the building’s interior to showcase Denmark and its history. Outside, about 75 commemorative bricks have been laid as part of the continuing fundraising effort.
Captain Z. G. Graham sold 17 acres of land for a turnout and station to the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company in 1830. This company ran the Best Friend of Charleston, the first steam locomotive-driven passenger service in the United States along the Charleston-Hamburg line, which passed through Graham’s Turnout. The Best Friend of Charleston never made it to Hamburg, as it exploded in a boiler accident less than a year later.
Graham’s Turnout was officially established as a town in 1837. With the crossing of two major railroads, in 1890-1891, the settlement was renamed for Captain Isadore Denmark of Savannah, an official of the Seaboard Air Line who had shown special interest in developing the area.
The Voorhees Normal and Industrial School was begun in Denmark in 1897 by Tuskegee graduate Elizabeth E. Wright, a former student of Booker T. Washington’s. The institute, named for its patrons, Ralph Voorhees of New Jersey and his wife, was one of the few schools for black youth at the time. Since then, the school has become a four-year college, and maintains its ties with the Episcopal Church.
Denmark is also home to nationally-recognized artist Jim Harrison, known for his realistic painted landscapes depicting the South Carolina lowlands and his Coca-Cola art. His gallery is close by the Denmark depot.
Station Building (with waiting room)
- Quik-Trak kiosks not available
- No ticket sales office
- Accessible Restrooms
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- No baggage carts
- Ski bags not available
- Bag storage not available
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- Same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- Accessible platform
- Accessible Restrooms
- No accessible ticket office
- Accessible waiting room
- Accessible water fountain
- Accessible same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Accessible overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- No high platform
- No wheelchair
- Wheelchair lift available
|Mon||01:35 am - 03:45 am|
|Tue||01:35 am - 03:45 am|
|Wed||01:35 am - 03:45 am|
|Thu||01:35 am - 03:45 am|
|Fri||01:35 am - 03:45 am|
|Sat||01:35 am - 03:45 am|
|Sun||01:35 am - 03:45 am|