BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport, MD (BWI)
Considered the nation's "first intercity air-rail-ground transportation" facility, the station ushered in a new era by allowing for transfers between air, rail and public transportation services.
7 Amtrak Way
BWI Airport, MD 21240
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2017): 724,865
- Facility Ownership: Maryland Transit Administration
- Parking Lot Ownership: Maryland Transit Administration
- Platform Ownership: Amtrak
- Track Ownership: Amtrak
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
Opened in 1980, the busy BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport station provides a convenient air-to-rail link for travelers passing through BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport. In addition, it offers connections to regional buses, Maryland Area Regional Commuter (MARC) trains, taxis and a garage with more than 600 spaces. The Bay Runner bus service to Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Cumberland and Frostburg is also available. Travelers at the station use elevators and an overhead walkway between platforms, and another walkway connects the station to office buildings nearby. Free shuttle buses transport passengers between the station, located at the edge of the airport, and the terminal – 24 hours a day.
In the 1980s, many of the transit facilities in the Baltimore-Washington region were built of cast concrete in a functional post-modern style—as was the BWI station. A waiting area in front of the ticket counter provides some seating under the awning-like ceiling of thin metal ribs that curves down toward ticket windows, leading the eye to the signage. The covered platforms provide modest shelter and bench seats as well. On November 24, 2010, the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) re-opened the 1,050-foot platforms, which had been renovated and extended 700 feet, allowing passengers to use all doors of the nine-car trains. MTA also added new signage, lights, shelters and benches in this update.
Nearby Linthicum, the closest community to the airport, was largely rural up until 1908 when the Linthicum Heights district was patented and named for a prominent local family. John Charles Linthicum was a member of the Maryland Senate at the time, and member of U.S. House of Representatives from 1911-1931. Linthicum became the first to introduce a bill in 1918 which would make the Star Spangled Banner the official national anthem of the United States, though it was not made so until 1931. Linthicum was also instrumental in preserving the sailing ship, Constellation, which can be visited in Baltimore harbor.
Sited three miles south of the Patapsco River and on intersecting rail lines joining Baltimore, Washington, and Annapolis, the town is a good example of one built around the electric interurban lines which thrived between 1890 and 1920) Linthicum Heights is a good example of the suburbanization of the county along rail lines at the turn of the 20th century. Primarily residential to this day, the historic district shows a wide variety of building forms and stylistic influences in a quiet small-town atmosphere that contrasts strongly with the enormous metropolitan areas of which it is a part. The MTA Light rail line through Linthicum is built on the right of way of the Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis interurban.
Camp Meade road runs directly through the center of Linthicum Heights and southwards toward a well-known Washington landmark: About eight miles away is Fort George G. Meade, a large Army outpost with nearly 10,000 residents. The fort is named for General George Gordon Meade, a career Army officer and civil engineer who served throughout the Civil War, and is famous for defeating General Lee at the battle of Gettysburg.
Fort Meade—originally Camp Meade—is today known for its many tenants including the National Security Agency; the Defense Information Agency; a number of national, Army and Navy security and intelligence commands; and the U.S. Army Cyber Command. Fort Meade became an active Army installation when the present Maryland site was selected June 23, 1917, because of its close proximity to the railroad, Baltimore port and Washington D.C. The original cost for construction was $18 million and the land sold for $37 per acre in 1917. Meade has been an active fort since its beginnings, acting as a base of military deployment as well as an intelligence center.
The staffed BWI station provides ticketing but not assistance with baggage, and is served by approximately 60 daily Amtrak trains plus MARC trains.
Station Building (with waiting room)
- 10 Short Term Parking Spaces
Number of spaces available for Amtrak passengers to park for the day only not overnight. Parking fees may apply.
- Accessible Payphones
- Accessible Platform
Accessible platform is a barrier-free path from the drop-off area outside the station to the station platform.
- Accessible Restrooms
- Accessible Ticket Office
- Accessible Waiting Room
- Accessible Water Fountain
- Baggage Storage
Baggage storage is an area where passengers may store their bags equivalent to 'left luggage' in Europe. A storage fee may apply.
- Bike Boxes
- Checked Baggage
- Dedicated Parking
- Enclosed Waiting Area
- Help With Luggage
- High Platform
A high platform is a platform at the level of the vestibule of the train with the exception of Superliners.
Self-service lockers are available in select stations for passenger baggage storage
- Long-term Parking Spaces
Number of spaces available for Amtrak passengers to park overnight. Parking fees may apply.
- Parking Attendant
- Pay Phones
- Shipping Boxes
- Ski Bags
- Wheelchair Lift
Wheelchair lift is a platform-mounted lift for loading passengers from low platforms onto trains that do not have onboard ramps.