Founded in 1749, Alexandria grew into a busy Potomac River port. The railroad depot opened in 1905 and is served by Amtrak and VRE commuter trains, while the Metro is nearby.
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2023): 308,013
- Facility Ownership: City of Alexandria
- Parking Lot Ownership: City of Alexandria
- Platform Ownership: CSX Transportation (CSXT) / City of Alexandria
- Track Ownership: CSX Transportation (CSXT)
The Amtrak station in Alexandria opened on September 15, 1905. The train station is directly adjacent to the King Street Metro station and faces the George Washington Masonic National Memorial.
Though not as grandiose as its nearby Washington, D.C. counterpart, this “other Union Station” has a unique style of its own. The station is a one-story brick building consisting of the original main passenger depot and baggage building separated by a 20-foot wide open gateway passage and covered by a covered terrace. The designer used the Federal Revival Style: a 20th century mixture of Neoclassical architecture borrowed from buildings constructed just after the American Revolution, fitting for its location. Both original buildings are still in use. Though many minor renovations have taken place, including the slightly more extensive renovations that occurred in 1982 and the mid-1990s, the original buildings remain essentially unchanged. The limestone and granite Veterans of Foreign Wars memorial was constructed at the station in 1942.
In the late 1840s, the city of Alexandria invested in five major railroad projects to better compete with Baltimore as a regional industrial and trade center, but ended up in a confusion of mergers and failures. In 1901, the railroads serving the region built Potomac Yard, a consolidated rail yard. In 1905, the city of Alexandria commissioned the Washington Southern Railway Company (later part of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac, now CSX) to build the Alexandria Union Station at a cost of $62,020.55. The station also served the Chesapeake & Ohio and Southern Railway trains.
The city of Alexandria was first settled in 1695 in what was then the British Colony of Virginia. The town grew quickly through its tobacco warehouses, and was named Alexandria in honor of its original owner, John Alexandria, who purchased the land in 1669 for “six thousand pounds of tobacco and cask.”
In 1791, Alexandria was included in the area chosen by George Washington to become the District of Columbia. It was later ceded to Virginia by the federal government in 1846, when the District of Columbia was reduced in size.
The Alexandria Union Station is located in Old Town, a 17th century seaport town home to George Washington and Robert E. Lee. Market Square in Old Town is the oldest continuously operating marketplace in the United States. The area is also home to the Torpedo Factory art studio complex, Gadsby’s Tavern, the Jones Point Lighthouse, and Robert E. Lee’s boyhood home.
Northeast Regional service within Virginia is funded in part through grants made available by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- ATM not available
- No elevator
- No payphones
- No Quik-Trak kiosks
- No Restrooms
- Unaccompanied child travel not allowed
- No vending machines
- No WiFi
- Arrive at least minutes prior to departure
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- No baggage carts
- Ski bags not available
- No bag storage
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- No payphones
- No accessible restrooms
- No accessible ticket office
- No accessible waiting room
- No accessible water fountain
- No high platform
- No wheelchair
- No wheelchair lift