Ottumwa, IA (OTM)
Dedicated by the CB&Q Railroad in 1951, the depot today houses a passenger waiting room and the Wapello County Historical Museum.
210 West Main Street
Ottumwa, IA 52501
Annual Station Ridership (2016): 12,155
- Facility Ownership: Wapello County Historical Society
- Parking Lot Ownership: Wapello County Historical Society
- Platform Ownership: BNSF Railway
- Track Ownership: BNSF Railway
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
The original Ottumwa depot was built in 1889 by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q). This structure was razed and rebuilt in 1950 for the CB&Q by the Benson Construction Company of Chicago, and the limestone-faced station was dedicated in May of 1951. Today, Amtrak shares the building with the Wapello County Historical Museum and Burlington Trailways.
Using monies that Amtrak received under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the Ottumwa depot received a new wheelchair lift and enclosure in 2011. In addition, new striping for handicapped parking, static signage, and a ramp and a curb cut were installed to ease travel between parking and the platform.
Ottumwa was first settled in 1843 and its name is derived from the Indian term meaning ‘rippling waters.’ Ottumwa owes its existence to the Des Moines River which flows through the town. Three bridges span the river; Ottumwa is known as the City of Bridges.
Amtrak provides ticketing services but does not provide baggage services at this station, which is served by two daily trains.
- 30 Short Term Parking Spaces
- 30 Long Term Parking Spaces
- Accessible Payphones
- Accessible Platform
- Accessible Restrooms
- Accessible Ticket Office
- Accessible Waiting Room
- Accessible Water Fountain
- Dedicated Parking
- Enclosed Waiting Area
- Help With Luggage
- Pay Phones
- Ticket Office