McGregor, TX (MCG)
McGregor was established in 1882 at the intersection of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe and St. Louis Southwestern railroads. The depot, built by the Santa Fe Railway, dates to 1904.
1 Amtrak Boulevard
McGregor, TX 76657
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2019): 5,365
- Facility Ownership: BNSF Railway
- Parking Lot Ownership: BNSF Railway
- Platform Ownership: BNSF Railway
- Track Ownership: BNSF Railway
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
The unique L-shaped depot in McGregor is a circa 1904 building at the junction of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe (now BNSF) and the St. Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt, now Union Pacific) railways. Santa Fe’s logo, a cross inside of a circle, is displayed on the building. The depot still retains its original feel, but the neighboring railroad control tower was dismantled in 1967. Amtrak customers use the adjacent platform.
McGregor Springs (the town’s former name) was established in 1882 at the intersection of the railways. The town, which was endowed with artesian springs, was named for Dr. Gregor Carmichael McGregor, who gave the railroad right-of-way to cross his land. Texas newspapers soon began advertising trips to McGregor, and on September 7, 1882, a state land commissioner auctioned lots from the back of a railroad car. The town adopted a charter in November 1886.
On September 15, 1896, “The Crash at Crush” took place 15 miles north at Waco. “The Crash” was a publicity stunt performed by the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad. Food, games, and entertainment were provided for families to come view two steam locomotives intentionally collide. The head-on collision turned deadly when both boilers exploded simultaneously, sending scraps of metal flying into the air. Two people died and six were left injured.
McGregor prides itself on being a small, business-friendly community with easy access to the culture and entertainment of Waco. The McGregor Amtrak stop serves Crawford as well, home of George W. Bush. McGregor is a melting pot of cultures thanks to the intersection of the railways, and once served as a stopping point for trains to replenish their water supply. Today, the railroad provides shipping access for McGregor’s diverse industries, which include Smead Manufacturing, Dell Computer, and Ferguson Enterprises.
Attractions in McGregor include Amsler Park, the Spradley Telephone Museum, and the McGinley Memorial Library, formerly the Ritz Theater. The Dr. Pepper Museum, Texas Sports Hall of Fame, Cameron Park, and the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame & Museum are located nearby in Waco.
Amtrak does not provide ticketing or baggage services at this facility, which is served by two daily trains.
Station Building (with waiting room)
- Quik-Trak kiosks not available
- No ticket sales office
- Accessible Restrooms
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- No baggage carts
- Ski bags not available
- Bag storage not available
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- Same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- Accessible platform
- Accessible Restrooms
- No accessible ticket office
- Accessible waiting room
- Accessible water fountain
- Accessible same-day free parking is available
- Accessible overnight free parking is available
- High platform
- No wheelchair
- Wheelchair lift available
|Mon||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Tue||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Wed||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Thu||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Fri||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Sat||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|
|Sun||09:00 am - 05:00 pm|