Hammond, LA (HMD)
The renovation of the 1912 depot garnered an historic preservation award; the building currently houses the local chamber of commerce, court clerk and an Amtrak waiting room.
404 N.W. Railroad Avenue
Hammond, LA 70401
Annual Station Ridership (2016): 12,190
- Facility Ownership: Hammond Chamber of Commerce
- Parking Lot Ownership: Hammond Chamber of Commerce
- Platform Ownership: Canadian National Illinois Central Railroad
- Track Ownership: Canadian National Illinois Central Railroad
- City of New Orleans
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
The current Amtrak station in Hammond was built by the Illinois Central Railroad in 1912 and designed by the railroad’s in-house architects. The depot is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a component of the Hammond Historic district. Built of deep brown-red brick, the station is in the Queen Anne revival style, with a dominant octagonal tower and elaborate molding and archways and boasts the original cove molded ceiling. Using stimulus funds, Amtrak constructed a new ADA-compliant, 550-foot long platform at Hammond in fiscal year 2011.
The station complex is currently owned by the Hammond Chamber of Commerce. It was renovated for the Chamber’s use by Holly & Smith Architects in 2008. The main station building houses the chamber, the former restaurant houses a Court Clerk, and the former freight house, extensively remodeled, houses the current Amtrak waiting room and ticketing facilities. Holly & Smith received the 2008 AIA New Orleans Award of Merit for Historic Preservation/ Restoration/Rehabilitation for its work on the station.
Hammond is the largest city in Tangipahoa Parish. The city derives its name from its first inhabitant, Peter Hammond, a Swedish immigrant. He purchased the land 55 miles outside of New Orleans intending to produce masts and pine-resin products for the blossoming New Orleans maritime industry.
In 1854 the New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern Railroad reached Hammond, establishing “Hammond Crossing”, a flag stop a block away from the current depot. The railroad immediately began to bring economic benefits to Hammond, prompting Peter Hammond to sign a contract with the railroad requiring that all trains passing through Hammond call on the station.
The railroad brought to Hammond the economic success he was hoping for. In 1859, Charles Emery Cates moved to Hammond and established a shoe factory. The factory was destroyed during the Civil War after producing 45,000 shoes for the soldiers of the Confederate Army.
Hammond, once an agricultural center, soon grew to a center of manufacturing, thanks to the presence of the railroad (then Illinois Central, now CN) and its location between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. This location has led to its continued growth as a joint suburb to both cities. Hammond is home to Southeastern Louisiana University as well as the Tangipahoa African American Heritage Museum and Black Veteran Archives.
Amtrak provides ticketing and baggage facilities at this station, which is served by two daily trains.
- 10 Short Term Parking Spaces
- Accessible Payphones
- Accessible Platform
- Accessible Restrooms
- Accessible Waiting Room
- Accessible Water Fountain
- Baggage Storage
- Bike Boxes
- Checked Baggage
- Dedicated Parking
- Enclosed Waiting Area
- Help With Luggage
- Shipping Boxes
- Ticket Office
- Wheelchair Lift