Essex, MT (ESM)
Essex is home to the historic Izaak Walton Inn, originally built in 1939 to house railroad personnel.
290 Izaak Walton Inn Road
Izaak Walton Inn
Essex, MT 59916
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2018): 3,286
- Facility Ownership: N/A
- Parking Lot Ownership: N/A
- Platform Ownership: BNSF Railway
- Track Ownership: BNSF Railway
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
Essex was originally home to a rail yard for the Great Northern Railway. The historic Izaak Walton Inn was built next to this yard in 1939 to house railroad personnel and snow removal crews. Despite a campaign for the inn to serve as an entrance to Glacier Park between East and West Glacier, the plan was not adopted.
As a result, the inn appears to be a huge structure in the middle of the wilderness. Today, it is a popular year-round stop for visitors, especially railroad buffs and cross country skiers.
Amtrak installed a 190 foot long concrete platform with tactile edging at Essex in late 2010. The approximately $416,000 project included the platform, railing, passenger/vehicle loading ramp, lighting, signage and a hydronic snow melting system.
Amtrak does not provide ticketing or baggage services at this station, which is served by two daily trains.
Platform only (no shelter)
- ATM available
- Quik-Trak kiosks not available
- No ticket sales office
- Vending Machines
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- No baggage carts
- Ski bags not available
- Bag storage not available
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- Same-day parking is not available
- Overnight parking is not available
- Accessible platform
- No restrooms
- No accessible ticket office
- No accessible waiting room
- No accessible water fountain
- Accessible same-day parking is not available
- Accessible overnight parking is not available
- No high platform
- No wheelchair
- No wheelchair lift