Deerfield Beach, FL (DFB)
The 1926 Mediterranean Revival depot features arched entryways, stucco walls, barrel-tiled roof and a two-story tower. The freight room now houses the South Florida Railway Museum.
1300 West Hillsboro Boulevard
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
Annual Station Ridership (2016): 24,524
- Facility Ownership: Florida Department of Transportation
- Parking Lot Ownership: Florida Department of Transportation
- Platform Ownership: Florida Department of Transportation
- Track Ownership: Florida Department of Transportation
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
The Deerfield Beach station, built in 1926, is one of several historical Mediterranean Revival stations designed by Harvey and Clarke, Architects. This former Seaboard Air Line station was listed as historic in the Florida Department of the Archives in 1974 and placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1990. Like its sister building in Delray Beach, the Deerfield Beach Seaboard Air Line station features arched entryways, painted stucco walls, a barrel-tiled roof and a two-story tower. It also became a Tri-Rail commuter station in January of 1989.
Renovations were begun for the station in 1990, repairing and replacing much of the roof and floor of the structure, and restoring the station to its original appearance. This renovation also created space for the South Florida Railway Museum in the old freight room. In 1999 and 2000, Tri-Rail completed station renovations, including new parking areas and easier access for passengers with disabilities and adding track capacity.
Between 2009 and the end of 2010, the Florida Department of Transportation undertook another restoration of the station, which was modernized and repaired while maintaining the character of the building. R.M. Williams Construction and FleischmanGarcia Architecture worked together on the $380,000 project to replace the roof and provide a new lobby and new restrooms for Amtrak customers as well as new railings and stair cases on the freight deck. They refurbished the exterior walls, the foundation support columns, and the floor structure, and they installed new state-of-the-art air conditioning units.
The first non-native settlers arrived in the area in 1877, and on June 22, 1898 a post office was opened for the 20 settlers in Deerfield Beach, along Henry Flager’s Florida East Coast Railroad. The area was so named for the numerous herds of deer that grazed in the area. The Hillsboro River forms the northern boundary of the town and just west of the railroad, a narrow bridge led to Boca Raton. The town’s early life depended upon the railroad shipping produce to market, since the Deerfield Beach tomatoes were among the finest in the state. The Hillsboro River was dredged and became the Hillsboro Canal in 1911, linking Deerfield to Lake Okeechobee, 45 miles to the northwest.
The Town of Deerfield incorporated on June 11, 1925. When in 1939 the name was changed to the Town of Deerfield Beach, the population numbered about 1,800. The town remained primarily agricultural until after World War II, when tourists began to come to Deerfield Beach’s oceanfront and stay in motels being built along its shoreline. In 1951 the town officially became a city.
Amtrak provides both ticketing and baggage services at this facility, which is served by four daily trains.
- 96 Long Term Parking Spaces
- Accessible Platform
- Accessible Restrooms
- Accessible Waiting Room
- Baggage Storage
- Bike Boxes
- Checked Baggage
- Dedicated Parking
- Enclosed Waiting Area
- Help With Luggage
- Shipping Boxes
- Short Term Parking Spaces
- Ticket Office
- Wheelchair Lift