Creston, IA (CRN)
Named due to its location on a crest of land between the basins of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, Creston was established in 1868 as a division point for the CB&Q Railroad.
100 West Adams Street
Creston, IA 50801
Annual Station Ridership (2016): 3,843
- Facility Ownership: BNSF Railway
- Parking Lot Ownership: BNSF Railway
- Platform Ownership: BNSF Railway
- Track Ownership: BNSF Railway
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
This single-story facility was built in 1968 and is shared with the BNSF Railway. Using monies that Amtrak received under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the Creston depot received a new wheelchair lift, enclosure, and pad in 2010. In addition, a new sidewalk and curb cut were installed from the parking area to the platform.
Creston was established in 1868 by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (CB&Q), which chose this location as a division point. The town was so named because it sits on a crest of land between the basins of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. By the late 1800s, Creston was a major rail hub and had more than 50 trains passing through on a daily basis.
The town’s rich railroad history is especially evident in the old CB&Q depot that stands west of the Amtrak station. The three story building, opened in 1899 at a cost of $75,000, features walls of buff brick with stone trim at the base and in various belt courses. Large dormers finished with coping punctuate the steeply-pitched roof line. A sense of grandeur is evoked by large, round arch windows and doorways on the ground floor, which originally contained the waiting room, ticket office, lunch counter and baggage room. The light and airy waiting room had dark red marble floors and a natural oak wood beam and inlay ceiling supported by classical columns.
Since Creston was a division point, the depot also contained numerous railroad offices on the upper levels for the division superintendent, dispatcher, road master, physician and other officials. The depot abutted the busy Creston yards, which had one of the largest roundhouses in the CB&Q system.
After the railroad moved its operations out of the building in the 1970s, the city purchased the property. Residents voted in favor of a bond to support preservation, and in 1974 the depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today, the first floor houses an art gallery, senior center and exhibits, while the second floor is reserved for municipal use.
Amtrak does not provide ticketing or baggage services at this station, which is served by two daily trains.
- 10 Short Term Parking Spaces
- 10 Long Term Parking Spaces
- Accessible Payphones
- Accessible Platform
- Parking Attendant
- Wheelchair Lift