Colfax, CA (COX)
The community extensively renovated the historic 1905 wood depot in the early 2000s; it houses the Colfax Historical Museum, visitors center, events space and a passenger waiting area.
99 Railroad Street at Church Street
Colfax, CA 95713
Annual Station Ridership (FY 2018): 5,658
- Facility Ownership: N/A
- Parking Lot Ownership: City of Colfax
- Platform Ownership: Union Pacific Railroad
- Track Ownership: Union Pacific Railroad
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
In 1905, the Southern Pacific Railroad constructed one of its traditional, standardized “Colonnade” style depots at Colfax. Developed by the railroad’s architects, the design referenced the then-popular Colonial Revival style and included a broad porch supported by a colonnade of Doric columns. Shaded from the sun, this was a perfect spot for passengers to wait for their train during the warmer months. Replacing an earlier structure originally built in about 1865, the new wood depot also served the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railway until 1942.
Through the coordinated efforts of the city, Placer-Sierra Railroad Heritage Society, Colfax Area Historical Society and Colfax Depot Management Committee, the depot underwent a phased renovation between 2000 and 2007. The $180,000 project was funded through a variety of sources, including the city ($75,000), a grant from the Auburn United Indian Community ($50,000), a grant from the National Park Service’s “Save America’s Treasures” program ($49,000) and a donation from the Union Pacific Foundation ($3,000). Volunteers and contractors also generously donated time and materials. Today, the building includes space for the Colfax Historical Museum, a Chamber of Commerce Visitors Center, Amtrak customers, and community meetings and receptions.
The Colfax area was originally home to the Maidu American Indian tribe. “Alder Grove,” later known as “Illinoistown,” began as a winter camp for trappers and miners. This was the site of the first stage coach robbery in the gold country; in April 1852, the Reelfoot Williams Gang stole $7,000 in gold bullion. They were gunned down a few days later in Yuba City. In 1865, Schuyler Colfax, Speaker of the House of Representatives and eventual vice president under Ulysses S. Grant, came to Illinoistown while inspecting Central Pacific Railroad construction. On that occasion, the town was renamed for him.
Colfax has long been known as the “Gateway to the High Sierra Mountains.” Area farms are famous for their crops of Barlett pears, Hungarian prunes and Tokay grapes.
Amtrak does not provide ticketing or baggage services at this facility, which is served by two daily trains.
Station Building (with waiting room)
- Quik-Trak kiosks not available
- No ticket sales office
- Amtrak Express shipping not available
- No checked baggage service
- No checked baggage storage
- Bike boxes not available
- No baggage carts
- Ski bags not available
- Bag storage not available
- Shipping boxes not available
- No baggage assistance
- Same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- Accessible platform
- No restrooms
- No accessible ticket office
- No accessible waiting room
- No accessible water fountain
- Accessible same-day parking is available; fees may apply
- Accessible overnight parking is available; fees may apply
- No high platform
- No wheelchair
- No wheelchair lift
|Mon||09:30 am - 03:00 pm|
|Tue||09:30 am - 03:00 pm|
|Wed||09:30 am - 03:00 pm|
|Thu||09:30 am - 03:00 pm|
|Fri||09:30 am - 03:00 pm|
|Sat||09:30 am - 03:00 pm|
|Sun||09:30 am - 03:00 pm|