Albion, MI (ALI)
Serving residents of this college town for more than 125 years, the charming Italianate depot features decorative brickwork, bargeboard and delicate wrought-iron cresting along the roof.
300 North Eaton Street
Albion, MI 49224
Annual Station Ridership (2016): 1,603
- Facility Ownership: Amtrak
- Parking Lot Ownership: Amtrak
- Platform Ownership: Michigan Department of Transportation
- Track Ownership: Michigan Department of Transportation
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
The graceful and historic Albion depot has served townspeople, Albion College students, and visitors for more than 125 years. Originally built for the Michigan Central Railroad (MC) in 1882, the red brick building is a typical rectangular depot with Italianate touches such as three sided bays with fancy double brackets supporting the eaves.
Colored and glazed brick in shades of white form two beltcourses that encircle the structure and display a checked pattern—the prominent headers are strikingly white while the runners have a light whitewash. The beltcourses lie at the level of the sills and directly below the lintels, giving emphasis to the strong, repetitive rhythm of the window bays and the two-over-two windows. The bands of colored bricks are only interrupted by the plain pilasters that divide the window bays; each bay also features deep corbelling. The pilasters bear simple brackets that support the eaves of the gabled roof. The bay at the southeastern end of the structure is the main access point and features double doors; a porch, probably added at a later date, provides shelter during inclement weather. A long and narrow patch of lawn fronts the porch and runs along the tracks. In days past, it was planted with flowers as the depot would have been a visitor’s first impression of the town.
Trackside, another three-sided bay projects into the narrow platform area. This was a common design feature in early depots and was usually part of the depot-master’s office, allowing him to see down the tracks and monitor traffic. It is topped by a gable with bargeboard and woodwork associated with the Eastlake decorative style. The bay displays a sign with “Albion” spelled out and the mileage to Detroit and Chicago listed. The roof of the depot is crowned with wrought-iron fencing along the ridge, while two prominent chimneys with corbelling crown the structure. Compared to historic photographs, the depot exterior is today remarkably intact. A large water tower once stood to the north of the depot, but is now gone. A freight house is still located on the opposite side of the tracks.
Albion was first settled by European-Americans in 1833, but the settlement was not formally named until 1835 when the Albion Company platted the village. The name “Albion” was selected by the wife of one of the first settlers; Albion was also the name of the residence owned by Jesse Crowell who had platted the land. The selection was appropriate, as “Albion” is an old and poetic name for England and many of the early settlers were of English decent. Located at the forks of the Kalamazoo River, the flow of water provided power for mills; railroad connections also opened up markets to farmers from the surrounding area.
Founded in 1835, Albion College was actually first located ten miles away in Spring Arbor Township, but moved to Albion in 1838. Jesse Crowell donated sixty acres to the fledging institution and its first building opened its doors in 1844. Initiated by Methodist Episcopal settlers, the college was established as a liberal arts institution. It early accepted women, and by 1861 the school was fully authorized by the state to grant degrees to men and women.
The Central Railroad of Michigan reached town limits in 1844 and on Independence Day, the first steam locomotive chugged into town to much celebration. By December of that year, regular passenger service was instituted to Detroit. The trip from Detroit to Marshall—a dozen miles west of Albion—took seven and a half hours and cost $3. In 1846 the state sold the line stretching from Detroit to Kalamazoo to the Michigan Central Railroad for $2 million. Twenty years later, Michigan Central was subsumed into Cornelius Vanderbilt’s powerful New York Central Railroad.
Albion was also served by the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad (LS&MSR) which arrived in 1872 and linked it to the state capital at Lansing. The LS&MSR was formed by a series of consolidations in 1869; the line linked Chicago and Buffalo with major intermediate stops in Toledo, Cleveland, and Erie. A decade later, the New York Central also gained a majority share in the LS&MSR, and like the Michigan Central, it was incorporated into the New York Central lines, allowing for a direct route under single ownership from New York City to Chicago.
The LS&MSR built a depot a few blocks to the east of the MC building. It was a rather simple wood frame structure clad in vertical wood siding with the typical deep eaves and steep gabled roof found on many depots of the second half of the nineteenth century. When the “new” New York Central Railroad was chartered in December 1914, the LS&MSR and MC were merged; service consolidation resulted in the eventual abandonment of the old LS&MSR depot and the transfer of all passenger and freight services to the Michigan Central Depot. The LS&MSR station was later sold to a farmer who moved it to his property. The MC depot was abandoned in 1971 but restored by local community groups in the mid-1980s. Today it once again serves rail passengers as well as intercity buses under Greyhound. A portion of the building is rented out to private businesses, thus generating income for maintenance.
Today Albion is well known its diverse population and for the college which takes its name. Albion College is considered one of the best, small, liberal-arts four year colleges in the nation and is noted for its student activism manifest in more than one hundred student-led organizations. The college’s Whitehouse Nature Center is a popular attraction along the Kalamazoo River and features walking trails amid 144 acres with 400 plant species, a wildflower garden, and a research-oriented working farm. Visitors are serenaded by the often melodious songs of 168 bird species, which makes for a delightful experience for bird-watchers as well as the casual observer. The city’s “Festival of the Forks” has been held each September since 1967. The multi-day event celebrates the community’s diversity and rich history and includes parades, community dinners, contests, an art show, and many other opportunities for fun and happy memories.
Amtrak does not provide ticketing or baggage service at this station, which is served by two daily trains. The Wolverine Service is financed primarily through funds made available by the Michigan State Department of Transportation.
Station Building (with waiting room)
- 15 Short Term Parking Spaces
Number of spaces available for Amtrak passengers to park for the day only not overnight. Parking fees may apply.
- Accessible Payphones
- Accessible Platform
Accessible platform is a barrier-free path from the drop-off area outside the station to the station platform.
- Accessible Restrooms
- Accessible Ticket Office
- Accessible Waiting Room
- Accessible Water Fountain
- Baggage Storage
Baggage storage is an area where passengers may store their bags equivalent to 'left luggage' in Europe. A storage fee may apply.
- Bike Boxes
- Checked Baggage
- Dedicated Parking
- Enclosed Waiting Area
- Help With Luggage
- High Platform
A high platform is a platform at the level of the vestibule of the train with the exception of Superliners.
Self-service lockers are available in select stations for passenger baggage storage
- Long-term Parking Spaces
Number of spaces available for Amtrak passengers to park overnight. Parking fees may apply.
- Parking Attendant
- Pay Phones
- Shipping Boxes
- Ski Bags
- Wheelchair Lift
Wheelchair lift is a platform-mounted lift for loading passengers from low platforms onto trains that do not have onboard ramps.