Yemassee, South Carolina
Railroad Avenue and Old Salkehatchie Highway Yemassee, SC 29945
- Annual Station Revenue (2014)
- Annual Station Ridership (2014)
|Facility Ownership||Town of Yemassee|
|Parking Lot Ownership||Town of Yemassee|
|15 Long Term Parking Spaces||15 Short Term Parking Spaces||Accessible Payphones|
|Accessible Platform||Accessible Restrooms||Accessible Waiting Room|
|Accessible Water Fountain||Dedicated Parking||Pay Phones|
- Silver Meteor
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
Local Community Links:
The Yemassee station consists of a platform with a sheltered area adjacent to the old Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad depot built in 1955. The city purchased the building from CSX and completed the transfer of ownership on September 17, 2010. Community members gathered at the depot on that occasion to celebrate as a representative from CSX presented the deed to Mayor J.L. Goodwin. The town also purchased approximately 0.64 acres of adjoining land.
The Yemassee Revitalization Corporation (YRC), a nonprofit organization formed in 2008, planned to revitalize downtown to stimulate the local economy, beginning with the Amtrak station. The group wanted to restore the building to its early 20th century appearance and worked to find funding for the renovation project. In 2011, a British reality show filmed in Yemassee, which resulted in a full cosmetic renovation of the depot's exterior to include a new gabled roof, siding and a wrap-around porch. The town is now seeking funds for restoration of the interior.
Yemassee is a small town on the border between Beaufort and Hampton Counties in South Carolina. The town takes its name from the Yamassee, an influential Native American tribe that was an important ally of the South Carolinian settlers until the Yamassee war of 1715.
In 1864, General Sherman’s Union army came through Yemassee on its march to the sea from Atlanta, systematically burning public and private buildings. All of the churches in the area were destroyed except for the Presbyterian Church, which was used as a hospital by the Union army. Blood stains are still visible on the floor.
Between 1914 and 1964, the Marine Corps used the Yemassee depot as a gateway to its Parris Island Recruit Training Depot. More than 500,000 recruits have passed through the train station at Yemassee; half of them came during World War II. Because of this traffic, in 1942 the Marine Corps leased a facility from the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad to house incoming recruits. The barracks still stands today, and townspeople are seeking to restore this historical structure and open a museum in it.
Frank Lloyd Wright designed the Auld Brass Plantation house and outbuildings, which were built between 1940 and 1951. The plantation lies just outside the town limits of Yemassee, and is famous for having no right angles in it. It is said that W. Somerset Maugham also wrote his book, The Razor’s Edge, near Yemassee.
Today, Yemassee is experiencing population growth and a small building boom due to its proximity to Hilton Head Island and Beaufort. The main local festival is the annual Shrimp Festival in September, as shrimp baiting is a major occupation in this coastal area.
Amtrak does not provide ticketing or baggage services at this facility. Yemassee is served by four daily trains.