Union Street and Mill Street Middletown, PA 17057
- Annual Station Revenue (2013)
- Annual Station Ridership (2013)
|Parking Lot Ownership||Amtrak|
|75 Long Term Parking Spaces||75 Short Term Parking Spaces||Accessible Platform|
|Dedicated Parking||Pay Phones||Wheelchair Lift|
- Keystone Service
(202) 906-3918 (ph)
Local Community Links:
The Middletown station was constructed in 1990 and consists of a shelter and concrete platforms. Harrisburg-based Capital Area Transit (CAT) buses stop less than one block from this location and provide easy connections to regional destinations.
In fall 2013, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation announced a plan to construct a new station further west, adjacent to Harrisburg International Airport. The estimated $32 million intermodal project, which should begin in mid-2015, will connect air, rail and local bus services at one location and also make the station more convenient for students at the nearby Penn State Harrisburg campus.
Middletown was originally occupied by the Conoy or Gawanese American Indians, members of the Susquehanna Indian nation. In the late 1770s, Scotch-Irish settlers came to the area. In 1755, John Fisher acquired 691 acres of land on which the town was laid out. It experienced rapid growth due to its beneficial location for trade. During the Revolutionary War, Middletown was a noted supply depot. Following the end of the conflict, commerce continued and the area became an important trading center for lumber, produce, grain and steel.
George Fisher, John Fisher’s son, founded Harborton in 1809 (later known as Portsmouth). In 1857, Portsmouth, Middletown and the land in between were incorporated into a larger city known as Middletown.
Amtrak does not provide ticketing or baggage services at this facility, which is served by an average of 20 daily trains.
Amtrak’s Keystone Service is financed in part through funds made available by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.