Davis, named after a local farmer, was founded in 1868. The depot was built in 1913 to serve the new University Farm School - better known today as the University of California at Davis.
840 Second Street Amtrak Passenger Station Davis, CA 95616
- Annual Station Revenue (2013)
- Annual Station Ridership (2013)
|Facility Ownership||City of Davis|
|Parking Lot Ownership||City of Davis|
|Platform Ownership||Union Pacific Railroad|
|Track Ownership||Union Pacific Railroad|
|129 Long Term Parking Spaces||129 Short Term Parking Spaces||ATM|
|Accessible Payphones||Accessible Platform||Accessible Restrooms|
|Accessible Ticket Office||Accessible Waiting Room||Accessible Water Fountain|
|Baggage Storage||Bike Boxes||Checked Baggage|
|Dedicated Parking||Enclosed Waiting Area||Help With Luggage|
|Pay Phones||Quik Trak Kiosk||Restrooms|
|Shipping Boxes||Ticket Office||Wheelchair|
- California Zephyr
- Capitol Corridor
- Coast Starlight
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
Local Community Links:
In July 1868, the California Pacific Railroad began construction of the first depot at what was then called Davisville Junction. It was the first railroad station in Yolo County, a two-story wood frame building with ornate detailing characteristics of the Stick style with a truncated gable roof and wide overhanging eaves.
In 1901, Southern Pacific (SP), now in control of the Davis facilities, moved the depot about 400 feet east of its original site to make room for additional tracks. These new tracks served as a siding, keeping the main line open and thus enabling through passenger and freight trains to pass the station without stopping.
In May 1913, SP, apparently at the request of the Dean of the University of California—who thought the old depot not sufficiently dignified for the growing University—began construction of a new concrete and stucco depot and tower at the Davis Junction. The new station building was designed by the Southern Pacific Architectural Bureau, which adopted the Mission Revival style for the depot and control tower, following a precedent set by the Santa Fe Railway. It is now an historic landmark.
Davis was originally named Davisville after local farmer, Jerome C. Davis and was founded in 1868 around an SP depot. The Post Office later shortened the name to Davis and the change was made official when the city was incorporated in 1917. The University of California at Davis, an integral part of the city and its history, began in 1908 as a “University Farm School” and in 1959 it became the seventh UC campus. The university is known for its expertise and contributions in agriculture, life sciences, biotechnology and medicine.
Davis prides itself on being an eco-friendly community. Bicycling is a common mode of transportation and the station has many bicycle racks. The city hosts the Whole Earth Festival, a three-day music and education festival for the environmentally conscious.
The facility has a waiting room and is staffed by an Amtrak employee; Davis is served by 36 daily trains.
The Capitol Corridor route is primarily financed and operated in partnership with the State of California.