Considered the nation's "first intercity air-rail-ground transportation" facility, the station ushered in a new era by allowing for transfers between air, rail and public transportation services.
BWI Airport - Thurgood Marshall Airport, Maryland
7 Amtrak Way Amtrak/MARC Station BWI Airport, MD 21240
- Annual Station Revenue (2014)
- Annual Station Ridership (2014)
|Facility Ownership||Maryland Transit Administration|
|Parking Lot Ownership||Maryland Transit Administration|
|10 Short Term Parking Spaces||3187 Long Term Parking Spaces||ATM|
|Accessible Payphones||Accessible Platform||Accessible Restrooms|
|Accessible Ticket Office||Accessible Waiting Room||Accessible Water Fountain|
|Dedicated Parking||Elevator||Elevator Accessible|
|Enclosed Waiting Area||High Platform||Parking Attendant|
|Pay Phones||Quik Trak Kiosk||Restrooms|
- Acela Express
- Northeast Regional
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
Local Community Links:
- BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport
- BWI Airport-Amtrak Station
- Amtrak Northeast Corridor
- Maryland Area Regional Commuter (MARC) trains
- Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) buses
- Howard Transit
Opened in 1980, the busy BWI Airport station provides a convenient air-to-rail connection for travelers passing through the BWI-Thurgood Marshall Airport, as well as connections to the airport and regional buses, Maryland Area Regional Commuter (MARC) trains, taxis, and a garage with more than 600 spaces. The Bay Runner bus service to Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Cumberland and Frostburg is also available. Travelers at the station use elevators and an overhead walkway between platforms, and another walkway connects the station to office buildings nearby. Free shuttle buses bring passengers from this facility at the edge of the airport in and out of the terminal, running frequently at all hours.
In the 1980s, many of the transit facilities in the Baltimore-Washington region were built of cast concrete in a functional post-modern style—as was the BWI station. A waiting area in front of the ticket counter provides some seating under the awning-like ceiling of thin metal ribs that curves down toward ticket windows, leading the eye to the signage. The platform provides modest shelter and bench seats as well.
On November 24, 2010, the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) re-opened the 1,050-foot platforms, which had been renovated and extended 700 feet, allowing passengers to use all doors of the nine-car trains. MTA also added new signage, lights, shelters, and benches in this update. The elevators to the overhead passageway between platforms are scheduled for renovation. In addition a second elevator on each side has been recently put in service.
Nearby Linthicum, the closest community to the airport, was largely rural up until 1908 when the Linthicum Heights district was patented and named for a prominent local family. John Charles Linthicum was a member of the Maryland Senate at the time, and member of U.S. House of Representatives from 1911-1931. Linthicum became the first to introduce a bill in 1918 which would make the Star Spangled Banner the official national anthem of the United States, though it was not made so until 1931. Linthicum was also instrumental in preserving the sailing ship, Constellation, which can be visited in Baltimore harbor.
Sited three miles south of the Patapsco River and on intersecting rail lines joining Baltimore, Washington, and Annapolis, the town is a good example of one built around the electric interurban lines which thrived between 1890 and 1920) Linthicum Heights is a good example of the suburbanization of the county along rail lines at the turn of the 20th century. Primarily residential to this day, the historic district shows a wide variety of building forms and stylistic influences in a quiet small-town atmosphere that contrasts strongly with the enormous metropolitan areas of which it is a part. The MTA Light rail line through Linthicum is built on the right of way of the Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis interurban.
Camp Meade road runs directly through the center of Linthicum Heights and southwards toward a well-known Washington landmark: About eight miles away is Fort George G. Meade, a large Army outpost with nearly 10,000 residents. The fort is named for General George Gordon Meade, a career Army officer and civil engineer who served throughout the Civil War, and is famous for defeating General Lee at the battle of Gettysburg. Fort Meade—originally Camp Meade—is today known for its many tenants including the National Security Agency; the Defense Information Agency; a number of national, Army and Navy security and intelligence commands; and the U.S. Army Cyber Command. Fort Meade became an active Army installation when the present Maryland site was selected June 23, 1917, because of its close proximity to the railroad, Baltimore port and Washington D.C. The original cost for construction was $18 million and the land sold for $37 per acre in 1917. Meade has been an active fort since its beginnings, acting as a base of military deployment as well as an intelligence center.
The staffed BWI station provides ticketing but not assistance with baggage, and is served by approximately 63 Amtrak trains on weekdays, plus weekend service and MARC trains Monday through Friday.