Opened in 1911, the old depot was originally a Harvey House known as the "Casa del Desierto"; today it houses various museums, a visitors center and city offices.
685 North First Avenue Barstow, CA 92311
- Annual Station Revenue (2014)
- Annual Station Ridership (2014)
|Parking Lot Ownership||Redevelopment Agency of the City of Barstow|
|Platform Ownership||BNSF Railway|
|Track Ownership||BNSF Railway|
|50 Long Term Parking Spaces||50 Short Term Parking Spaces||Accessible Platform|
|Dedicated Parking||Pay Phones||Restrooms|
- Southwest Chief
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
Local Community Links:
The Amtrak stop at Barstow is a platform and shelter located at the Casa del Desierto train depot, which was rehabilitated by the city in 1993. Better known as the Harvey House Railroad Depot because of its origins as a Harvey House restaurant, the current facility opened on February 22, 1911, replacing an earlier Harvey House depot from 1885 that burned in 1908.
The station currently houses the Western American Railroad Museum, the Barstow Route 66 "Mother Road" Museum, the Barstow Area Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau and a real estate development sales office. Some city offices are located upstairs and a banquet room is available for rent downstairs. The western wing serves as the rail-bus transit center. The depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
As with many of the Harvey House restaurants, this facility followed designs laid out by architect Mary Colter. Her unique design fused a Spanish and Mediterranean style. Majestic columns and archways line the exterior of the depot, separating looming towers capped with pointed roofs or painted domes. A simple interior is furnished with wooden benches and home-style chandelier lighting.
Located in San Bernardino County, Barstow was founded along the Mormon Corridor in the late 1840s. Much of Barstow’s history is closely related to railroad activity in the region. Some of the earliest activity in this city resulted from railroad lines being built through the town in order to connect miners to nearby silver deposit sites. Later lines would be built by the Southern Pacific to connect Needles to Mojave, California by way of Barstow. These lines were transferred to Santa Fe Railroad owner William Barstow Strong in 1884. It was from this compromise that Barstow garnered its name.
Today, Barstow continues to act as a major transportation junction in California. Several major highways meet at Barstow and freight rail lines owned by BNSF Railway court trains by both BNSF and Union Pacific Railroad. Barstow is also home to the fast-food restaurant chain, Del Taco, where the original facility still stands.
Amtrak does not provide ticketing or baggage services at this facility, which is served by two daily trains.