WATERLOO, IND. – On the morning of March 30, 2016, townspeople and the curious gathered to watch the relocation of Waterloo’s historic 1883 New York Central depot. For more than a decade, the town has worked to return the building, used for community events, to passenger use.
In 2010, Waterloo won a $1.8 million Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation to support creation of an enhanced passenger facility. The town ultimately chose to relocate the historic depot approximately 700 feet west to the southeast corner of Center and Van Vleek Streets, closer to the existing Amtrak platform.
“This train depot played a central role in Waterloo’s history and it will once again play a significant role in its future.” – Town Council President David Bolton.
The relocated depot will house a passenger waiting area while still retaining space for community functions. In addition to minor building renovations, the larger station project includes construction of a paved parking lot, sidewalks and accessible walkways, as well as installation of ornamental street lighting, fencing, benches and landscaping. The project is expected to be completed in mid-2016.
More than 20,000 passengers began or ended their journey at the Waterloo station in Fiscal Year 2015. It is served daily by the Capitol Limited (Chicago-Washington) and Lake Shore Limited (Chicago-New York/Boston). Waterloo is one of the busiest stops in Indiana, as it is the primary station for passengers from Ft. Wayne.