The historic Sacramento Valley Station was designed for the Southern Pacific Railroad by the San Francisco architectural firm of Bliss and Faville. Opened in 1926, its reinforced concrete frame is faced with Italian sienna-colored brick trimmed with terracotta.
Today, the station is the subject of a three phase renewal program that encompasses track realignment, depot renovation and enhanced intermodal connections. Phase II broke ground in September 2014 and includes rehabilitation of the facade and masonry; installation of new mechanical, plumbing, electrical and communications systems; relocation of ticketing and baggage facilities for improved operations; and conservation of artwork and interior finishes.
A recent article in The Sacramento Bee offers a detailed, behind-the-scenes look at the project’s historic preservation component.