West Palm Beach, Florida
209 South Tamarind Avenue West Palm Beach, FL 33401
- Annual Station Revenue (2013)
- Annual Station Ridership (2013)
|Facility Ownership||City of West Palm Beach|
|Parking Lot Ownership||City of West Palm Beach|
|Platform Ownership||Florida Department of Transportation|
|Track Ownership||Florida Department of Transportation|
|5 Short Term Parking Spaces||67 Long Term Parking Spaces||Accessible Payphones|
|Accessible Platform||Accessible Restrooms||Accessible Ticket Office|
|Accessible Waiting Room||Accessible Water Fountain||Baggage Storage|
|Bike Boxes||Checked Baggage||Dedicated Parking|
|Elevator||Elevator Accessible||Enclosed Waiting Area|
|Help With Luggage||Pay Phones||Quik Trak Kiosk|
|Restrooms||Shipping Boxes||Ticket Office|
- Silver Meteor
- Silver Star
(202) 906-3918 (ph)
Local Community Links:
The West Palm Beach station was built in the Mediterranean Revival style by Harvey & Clarke Architects for the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad and opened with the arrival of the Orange Blossom Special on January 29, 1925. The station has been on the National Register of Historic Places since June 19, 1973.
The station is an intermodal nexus for intercity passenger and commuter rail, local buses, and taxis. Tri-Rail commuter train passengers use this station to access Palm Beach International Airport via a bus route or taxi. Amtrak began passenger service at West Palm Beach in 1971, and Tri-Rail initiated passenger service between West Palm Beach and Miami in 1989. The historic station was restored and rededicated in April 1991. Planned by Oliver and Glidden Architects, the work included restoration of ornamental cast stone elements, exterior masonry, doors and windows and iron and tile work. The red clay tile roof was replaced, as were the electrical, lighting, plumbing and heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
In summer 2012, the city finished an improvement project that made the depot more welcoming to all visitors. New sidewalks with a shell texture finish were installed and more than five dozen trees—such as sabal palms, highrise oaks and Malayan coconut palms—were planted around the building. Seating was also added. The improvements were funded with a $750,000 Transportation Enhancement grant from the Federal Highway Administration, to which the city provided a $150,000 local match. A second phase planned for 2013 entails the installation of new light standards and a concrete parking lot.
The first formal homestead claim in the area near what would become West Palm Beach came on July 28, 1873, on the shores of Lake Worth. In those days, the Lake Worth lagoon was a fresh water lake supplied entirely by ground seepage. In 1878, the Providencia, carrying 20,000 coconuts, wrecked on Palm Beach Island, the strip of sea barrier between the lake and the ocean. The resulting proliferation of coconut palms led to the area’s name.
By 1893, Henry Morrison Flagler, the Standard Oil and Florida East Coast Railroad magnate, began buying up land on Palm Beach. He also purchased land across the narrow Lake Worth and in 1894 and moved the business which dealt with his railroad operation across to the 48-block planned city that he laid out. West Palm Beach therefore began as a community to house the servants working for the two grand hotels on Palm Beach, as well as become the terminus for the railway. In 1894, 78 people met at the town police station, or Calaboose, and voted to incorporate the town into what was then Dade County. The shanty town that had grown up gave way to brick and stone buildings with incorporation. That was also the year that the Florida East Coast Railroad came to West Palm Beach.
In 1903, the town officially became a city. The city of West Palm Beach grew rapidly during the 1920s with the Florida land boom, which only lasted five years until the market ran out of buyers to pay the high prices. However, much of the historic architecture in the area dates from that time. Today, West Palm Beach’s economy includes commercial fishing and is a center for the research and production of aeronautical and electronic equipment. Tourism is important to the city, which underwent another development boom in the 1970s and 1980s and engineered a successful downtown revival in the 1990s.
Amtrak provides both ticketing and baggage services at this station which is served by four daily trains.