St. Cloud, Minnesota
555 East Saint Germain Street St. Cloud, MN 56304
- Annual Station Revenue (2013)
- Annual Station Ridership (2013)
|Facility Ownership||BNSF Railway|
|Parking Lot Ownership||BNSF Railway|
|Platform Ownership||BNSF Railway|
|Track Ownership||BNSF Railway|
|40 Long Term Parking Spaces||Accessible Platform||Dedicated Parking|
|Enclosed Waiting Area||Quik Trak Kiosk||Restrooms|
|Short Term Parking Spaces||Wheelchair Lift|
- Empire Builder
Local Community Links:
The St. Cloud depot was built by the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1898 at a cost of $18,095. The structure was built with superior materials, since it was envisioned as a station that would accommodate the growing passenger traffic between St. Cloud and St. Paul. The Romanesque depot was constructed with irregular gray quarry granite blocks that rest above a foundation of red granite. Blue slate, now converted to asphalt shingles, originally covered the ornate roofs.
The depot underwent some renovations in 1944, and there have been subsequent minor renovations. In the mid-1990s there was discussion of demolishing the station due to the high cost of heating and maintaining the building. Fortunately, these proposals did not come to fruition and the depot now houses an Amtrak waiting room.
Amtrak does not provide ticketing or baggage services at this facility, which is served by two daily trains. A caretaker opens and closes the station.