Located near Sundance Square and the Botanical and Water Gardens, the intermodal transportation center is known for its soaring clock tower.
Fort Worth, Texas
1001 Jones Street Fort Worth, TX 76102
- Annual Station Revenue (2015)
- Annual Station Ridership (2015)
|Facility Ownership||Fort Worth Transportation Authority|
|Parking Lot Ownership||Fort Worth Transportation Authority|
|Platform Ownership||Fort Worth Transportation Authority|
|Track Ownership||Fort Worth Transportation Authority, BNSF Railway|
|ATM||Accessible Payphones||Accessible Platform|
|Accessible Restrooms||Accessible Ticket Office||Accessible Waiting Room|
|Accessible Water Fountain||Baggage Storage||Bike Boxes|
|Checked Baggage||Enclosed Waiting Area||Help With Luggage|
|Pay Phones||Quik Trak Kiosk||Restrooms|
|Shipping Boxes||Ticket Office||Wheelchair|
- Heartland Flyer
- Texas Eagle
For information about Amtrak fares and schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
Local Community Links:
- City of Fort Worth, TX
- Amtrak Texas Eagle
- Heartland Flyer
- The T buses
- Trinity Railway Express (TRE) commuter rail
The Amtrak station in Fort Worth is part of a modern facility constructed of brick and trimmed in regional stone. It reflects the influence of past rail stations in its hip-roofed design and decoration. Designed by the Fort Worth architectural firm of Gideon Toal, the station stands in an area that was once a bustling commercial and warehouse district on the northeast side of the city, near Sundance Square. Its 70-foot four-faced clock tower now presents a striking landmark in that part of the city, which was once a center of commerce for the African-American community in Fort Worth.
Amtrak shares space in the Fort Worth Intermodal Transportation Center (ITC) with the local Trinity Railway Express (TRE) commuter trains to Dallas, Greyhound and other intercity buses and connections to the Fort Worth Transportation Authority (the “T”) transit buses and, taxi services. Rail service began running at the ITC on December 3, 2001, but the building itself was not completed and opened until January 12, 2002.
The ITC, built with federal and local funding of $14 million, spans 31,000 square feet. Plans for this substantial center began in the 1990s after studies showed that intermodal transportation facilities would encourage people to use one or more of the services and reduce congestion and pollution. Some earlier plans, made around 1979, called for redevelopment of the former Texas and Pacific (T&P) depot into modern office spaces. Developers wanted federal funding for that project, but were required to demonstrate that the project would create a connection point for trains, buses, cars, and other transportation modes, a challenge given the T&P depot’s distance south of downtown Fort Worth.
In the 1990s, politicians and downtown leaders successfully moved for the ITC to be built not at the T&P building or at the Santa Fe depot, the then-current Amtrak stop, but at Ninth and Jones streets, closer to downtown employers, Sundance Square, the Botanical and Water Gardens, and other city attractions. The inauguration of the TRE at the same time the Intermodal Transportation Center opened was hailed as a major improvement for the metropolitan area, linking Fort Worth with Dallas by rail for the first time in 67 years.
Visual arts are an integral part of the station, in addition to its architectural amenities. As part of its shady breezeway, a five-part mural in shaped clay tiles depicts the history of African-American businesses and life, on the site of the ITC, between 1865 and 1940. Also on display is a restored trolley-like car from the Crimson Limited interurban railroad that ran between Dallas and Fort Worth. The interurban railcar, operated by the Northern Texas Traction Company, ceased operation in 1934. The shaded courtyard also leads to a life-sized interactive game board designed by local artist, Joan Zalenski.
The Beaux Arts-styled Santa Fe depot, now called the Ashton Depot, was opened on March 1, 1899. The architects are unknown, but the builders were David Smith and John Bardon. The depot was renovated and modernized in 1938 as part of a program by the Fort Worth Union Passenger Station and the Santa Fe Railroad, and served several lines until 1960, when the Santa Fe became the sole railroad using the facility. Amtrak operated passenger rail service from the building between 1973 and 1995. This building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1970. Shirlee and Taylor Gandy purchased the depot in 1999 and restored the structure to its original beauty and distinctiveness, including its original stained glass windows, barrel-vaulted ceilings, and marble floors. Today it functions as a meeting and banquet facility for the Ashton Hotel.
The Texas and Pacific Railway built a depot on Lancaster Avenue in the late 1800s and replaced it in 1931 with an extravagant 13-story Zig-Zag-style Art Deco building that would serve as both a passenger depot and office spaces. Wyatt C. Hedrick, with Herman P. Koeppe as designer planned this monumental railroad complex on the south end of downtown. Even though the exterior is very elaborate, the interior passenger lobby and office building lobbies are even more spectacular. The lobby with its magnificent ceiling has been fully restored. Recently, the former office space has been repurposed into residential lofts. The TRE terminates at this stop, which is to the west of the ITC.
Major General William Jenkins Worth, who had been second in command to Zachary Taylor in the Mexican-American war, proposed a line of ten forts to mark the Western Texas frontier from Eagle Pass to the confluence of the West Fork and Clear Fork of the Trinity River. Though Worth died of cholera before he saw his plan carried out, his successor named the camp at the confluence of these forks for him when it was established in 1849. After flooding, the fort was moved to the top of the bluff, where the courthouse still stands today. The Army abandoned the fort in 1853, but settlers remained, claiming the area for their own in spite of significant threat from the local Native Americans.
The town began to grow when it became a stop along the legendary Chisholm Trail, where the cattle were driven to market. Post Civil War, though, population dropped until the town was almost extinguished. However, in 1876, the Texas and Pacific Railway arrived in Fort Worth, and population swelled as migrants from the devastated and war-torn South arrived. Fort Worth became the westernmost railhead and transit point for cattle shipment. Local businessman Louville Niles, formed the Forth Worth Stockyards Company in 1893 to take advantage of the city’s business focus of the time, and within two years, the two largest cattle slaughtering firms of the time, Armour and Swift, both established operations in the new stockyard.
Fort Worth has remained important financially for oil exploration companies. In 2007, advances in drilling technology made vast natural gas reserves available in the Barnett Shale under the city. Many residents found they were receiving royalty checks for their mineral rights.
The Intermodal Transportation Center is close to several notable attractions, including the Fort Worth Water Gardens, the Botanical Gardens, and the Stockyards National Historical District. The Water Gardens, built in 1974 and designed by noted architects Philip Johnson and John Burgee, consists of three focus pools and a knoll, as well as extensive plantings. The Active Pool was built so that people could walk down into it and enjoy the water tumbling all around them.
The Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, established in 1934, are the oldest in the state of Texas. Within it is a 7.5-acre Japanese garden, with most of its structures and plants donated by Fort Worth’s sister city of Nagaoka, Japan, including a meditation garden, a moon viewing deck, a pagoda, and fish-food dispensers to feed the hundreds of koi in the garden's ponds. Built in the tradition of Edo-period (1600-1868) stroll gardens, the Fort Worth Japanese Garden integrates several styles of garden design into a single landscape.
The Fort Worth Stockyards Historical District was so-designated in 1976, and provides some notable nightclubs and bars. Additionally the district features two daytime cattle drives of Texas Longhorns, reminding all the modern city of today began as a dusty “cowtown.”
Amtrak provides both ticketing and baggage services at this facility, which is served by four daily trains.
The Heartland Flyer is financed primarily through funds made available by the Oklahoma and Texas Departments of Transportation.